Design Principles - Exercise 5

Design Principles - Exercise 5


28/03/2022 - 1/06/2022 (Week 5 -Week7)

Feng weijie | 0349058

Design Principles | B' in Creative Media










Lecture

introduce

The lecture video first introduces what "sense of place" is. In short, the role of the designer is to solve problems through effective visual communication.

The "problems" that designers solve - from personal goals to community activities, from corporate functions to world-changing projects - are communicated through creative visual means.

Dr. Jinchi then talks about the importance of observation, in relation to how clients inform designers of purpose and how designers work when expressing visual ideas. It is important to understand that it is consistent with each other.

This brings us to the concept of observation, where we pay attention to details and analyze them. This can be an efficient way to get ideas. Sources can come from artifacts, everyday events, the physical environment, etc.

To help us understand, Dr. Jin Chi shows us some images related to the observation, eg. Architectural inspiration, nature-inspired fashion, traditional tattoos that symbolize growth, a stylized Instagram page, and a video on "8 Ways to Improve Your Observation" all gave me that strong understanding.




I
nstructions 

sense of place

- Now think about where you are now, or where you lived a while ago, or a place that created a lasting memory in your heart.
- How do you express how you feel about that place?
- Start by recording your observations - photos, journals, conversations with relevant people, etc. Memories 
- Create mind maps to formulate your ideas
- Other mediums you can explore - collages, illustrations (manual/digital), scale models, etc.



In fact, the first time I saw this topic, I thought of my hometown-Chongqing
This is where my deepest emotions are, and no one would hate the place where they grew up growing up.


The most impressive thing in my memory is the alley that I must go through when I go home from elementary school. Why are you impressed? Because it is too difficult to go up, it has heights and lengths. It was a physical challenge for me as a kid. But over time, it also carried a childhood memory of mine.

when I'm back where. I found out that it was already under repair because it was too old. An unpleasant feeling surged in my inexplicable heart, the passage of time, everything has changed a lot



But I still try my best to restore it as I remember it based on my childhood memories
I drew a rough sketch first, which I thought would work. began, more detailed painting




Changes in the sketch


Coloring style material reference-

I really like Miyazaki's watercolor style. Among them, one of his works "Spirited Away" is my favorite street depiction in it, and the color matching is very beautiful.


I paint directly on my sketch paper, and I try to get that feeling back. I still like the final product

Figure   sense of place Final work “childhood alley


Figure 2.0  sense of place Final work “childhood alley” pdf

Comments